international day for biological diversity : International Day for Biological Diversity is observed on 22 May. Though the world has scaled new heights in the field of technology, there is a natural need for a clear and vital mechanism for human beings to depend on the ecosystem in all its glory. To create a balanced ecosystem the aspect of ‘dependency’ cannot be sidelined or ignored.
Biodiversity is a term that refers to a vast feature of life that is associated with nature. It includes all kinds of living things that are present in the world such as plants, bacteria, humans and animals.
international day for biological diversity
In the year 1993, the United Nations General Assembly announced about the celebrations on 22 May. People also remember it as ‘World Biodiversity Day’.
Every year there is a specific theme through which the celebrations are based accordingly. For example, in 2021 the theme was ‘We are part of the solution’. Such a theme is chosen primarily with the objective that biodiversity is the most obvious solution to address the challenges in sustainable development.
Biodiversity has such an important role to play when it comes to maintaining the balance of the earth.
It can also be said to be the most obvious way which is directly related to the happiness of human beings. In nature there are different types of living beings in the form of plants, fungi, animals, microorganisms such as bacteria which are part of the natural world.
- All species are intricately woven and work together in an ecosystem, to achieve the desired balance and support.
- If a specific species faces extinction, it may also endanger others, so remedial steps need to be taken before the situation becomes dangerous.
- Biodiversity resources serve as the foundation of civilization. However, there is an unfortunate phase that highlights the potential danger of its harm as it poses a threat to everyone including health.
- There is a proven factor that loss of biodiversity can spread diseases from animals to humans. However, when things are balanced, it also creates a perfect base for fighting epidemics.
How do people celebrate the day?
There is a need for proper sensitization which can be done effectively with the help of events organized across the world. The main theme of such events is to tell the immense importance of biodiversity in our lives. The Secretariat of the Convention on Biological Diversity hosts events organized by various governmental organizations as well as non-governmental organizations around the world.
- Leaflets are distributed in print and electronic media as well as in educational centers
- To help natives get a good understanding of educational resources, the contents of booklets and leaflets along with educational resources are translated into local languages.
- Special attention is paid to showcasing programs highlighting the importance of conserving endangered species or habitats
- The need to sensitize users about the importance of tree plantation which aims to prevent erosion is addressed through events and programs
- Movies are a great artistic, creative and entertaining way of empowering users with relevant topics. Similarly, films related to environmental theme are telecast during the day.
i hope you enjoy reading “International Day for Biological Diversity”“History, background, significance, facts, how do people view this day? and found it beneficial. I hope you learned something new from this.
Please share your experience or any suggestions with us by leaving a quick comment below. Thank you for this humble act!.
stay together justquikr.com to know all about Famous Occasions, Events and Festivals History, Activities, Themes, Essays, Speeches, Greetings and more.
If you like this page, feel free to share this information with/with your family friends, colleagues and relatives.