There are ups and downs in business but the fear of failure can hold you back from taking the first step towards excellence. With the pandemic in tow, aspiring entrepreneurs feel a bit stuck looking at the business potential. Here, we give you some actionable tips to deal with the negativity while starting a business even during a pandemic-like situations. We also took the liberty of penning down some amazing book recommendations that will help you be positive and enjoy the process of achieving your business goals.
10 tips to deal with negativity when starting a business in a pandemic
1. Get a Patron
The first thing to do as a new business owner is to find the right type of mentor. That person could be someone in your industry or just someone you look up to. Guidance should be appropriate for your business, and it should be a mutual responsibility to share knowledge.
2. The Two Big R’s – Routine and Refresh
messed something up? Try to reinvent the position and make it work. Take breaks from time to time and refresh yourself if you feel stuck or your thoughts seem mundane. Plan a routine and stick to them – both personal and professional. Being regular can increase productivity and engage in more activities beyond your pre-planned schedule.
3. Develop a problem-solving mindset
Don’t panic once you throw up a problem. Arrange a meeting with the party concerned, listen to the stories of both sides, and make a decision that is more realistic and feasible.
4. Half and Half Rent
Whenever you hire someone for your business. Make sure that half of the people contradict your views, and that the other half have the same mindset as yours. Those who protest can bring more valuable points and their point of view can take the discussion to a whole new level. Don’t take too long to find the right one. Hire a suitable person who can have the right attitude.
5. Network, Network and Network
Find like-minded people and mingle with them. Be more sporty in the learning process. Listen more and speak less – if you are a beginner. You can only be a creative person who gives someone input if you have listened to everyone. If you feel hopeless, there may be something in your network to lift your mood and change your perspective on something.
“Negativity, in general, is one of those things that holds people back, and you have to look at what’s holding you back to get away from it.” – lucy ducks
6. Tech savvy staff
Learn a thing or two about the latest technology being implemented in your organization. Since the world revolves around technology, make sure your administrative authority knows too.
7. Don’t Schedule a Meeting, Which Could Have Been an Email
Yes! I said this Having unnecessary meetings will undermine the purpose of having a constructive discussion. The team members and you, too, get tired of having back-to-back meetings. Always take a 10 to 15 minute break between each meeting to feel refreshed and give your 100%.
8. List the Pros and Cons
By always, I mean there is always a list of pros and cons. Let’s say a member of your team comes up with an idea to improve marketing strategies starting next month. Summarize the pros and cons before accepting or rejecting point-blank. It is a systematic way of making decisions.
Even if you have a team of accountants and auditors, make sure you are present (both mentally and physically) – learn if you don’t know about it. It’s important to trust your employees, but not maintaining records is a mistake to avoid.
10. Your “Why?” remember
You may find yourself missing some time or ME time in your busy schedule. During those tough times – ask yourself – “Why am I doing this?”. If you can answer this question with a proper explanation, you will feel energized. Because “a purpose drives you”.
5 Best Books to Read to Be More Positive as an Entrepreneur
Reading always keeps me in perspective. So, I took some liberties to sample the positivity and determination through words.
These are 5 books that will guide you to become a more positive and successful entrepreneur.
- Attitude is everything by Jeff Keller The decisions you make, the routines you set for yourself, and the affirmations you say to yourself every day are going to make a huge difference. If you feel tired, hopeless and abandoned – this book is for you to give you a boost!
- Mindset: The New Psychology of Success by Carol Dweck You do what you think. In this book, the author talks about two mindsets: growth mindset and fixed mindset and what they will do to you respectively. She helps you to identify your mindset and change it for the better.
- The Innovator’s Dilemma by Clayton Christensen The book is about the technology rebellion around the world and the businesses that have adopted and implemented technology in their firms. The author teaches you that just because your competitors and others are adopting something in their business doesn’t mean you have to too. Make an informed decision.
- As A Man Thinks by James Allen – This book is specifically about the power of thought and how it shapes your life into a more meaningful and fulfilling life.
- Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle – The author talks about how people always think about the future but then forget to live and enjoy the present. And also helps us understand how to make decisions more efficiently based on the present.
Working towards inner balance requires consistency and perseverance. So works hard and smart. Being negative is a part of our life. Despite the roller coaster ride that is our life, it is important to channel it properly and make things happen. Hope you shine bigger and brighter by removing your fear and negativity. Cheers!